Pronouns: she, her, hers
- Ph.D., Social and Personality Psychology, University of California, Berkeley
- M.Sc., Counseling, San Francisco State University
- B.Sc., Biology, Carleton University, Ottawa
- PSY 320 Health Psychology
- PSY 329 Research methods in psychology
- PSY 465 Cross-cultural issues in psychology
I have pursued three main lines of research: 1) culture and health (e.g., cross-cultural differences in mental and physical health; culture and the self-concept); 2) culture and social stigma (e.g., coping with stigmatized social identities among racial/ethnic minorities); and 3) group perception (e.g., stereotyping, prejudice, and discrimination; cross-cultural differences in social cognition; intergroup and intercultural relations). I also have interests in research methods (e.g., psychophysiology, neuroendocrinology, etc.) and advanced statistics (e.g., structural equation modeling, psychometrics).
Selected Publications/Professional Activities
- Spencer-Rodgers, J., Major, B., Forster, D., & Peng, K. (2016). The power of affirming group values: Group affirmation buffers the self-esteem of women exposed to blatant sexism. Self and Identity, 15, 1-19.
- Spencer-Rodgers, J., & Cortijo, A. (Eds.). (2015). Educational research on diversity and quality improvement in education. [Special issue] New Approaches in Educational Research, 4(1).
- Spencer-Rodgers, J., & Peng, K. (2014). Perceiving racial/ethnic disadvantage and its consequences for self-esteem among Asian Americans. International Journal of Psychological Studies, 6(2), 117-127
- Kit, K., Mateer, C., Tuokko, H., & Spencer-Rodgers, J. (2014). Influence of negative stereotypes and beliefs on neuropsychological test performance in a traumatic brain injury population. Journal of the International Neurological Society, 20, 1-11.
- Spencer-Rodgers, J., Gilbert, M., & Peng, K. (2013). The Racial/Ethnic Group Disadvantage Scale: A scale for use with multiple groups in diverse geographical contexts. International Journal of Psychological Studies, 5(2), 39-51.
- Spencer-Rodgers, J., Tong, J., & Liao, J. (2012). Perceptions of discrimination and the self-concept: Psychological and physiological evidence. In K. Gana (Ed.). Psychology of self-concept (pp. 113-128). Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers.
- Spencer-Rodgers, J., Williams, M. J., & Peng, K. (2010). Cultural differences in expectations of change and tolerance for contradiction: A decade of empirical research. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 14, 296-312.
- Spencer-Rodgers, J., Boucher, H. C., Mori, S., Wang, L., & Peng, K. (2009). The dialectical self- concept: Contradiction, change, and holism in East Asian cultures. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 35, 29-44.