Tuesday Newsday: November 2, 2021
PSYCD Department Phone/Email
Phone: (805) 756-2033
STAY CONNECTED. STAY INFORMED. STAY ENGAGED.
- Read Tuesday Newsday every week.
- Follow the PSYCD Department on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Get involved in the Poly Child Development Club, the Psychology Club and Psi Chi (the National Honors Society for Psychology).
- Get advising. Scroll to the bottom of Tuesday Newsday for information about advising appointments and faculty office hours.
- Department News
- Club Events (two new PCDC events to check out!)
- Campus Opportunities
- Off-Campus Opportunities
- Job Opportunities
- Office Hours and Advising Opportunities
- ATTENTION GRADUATING CD SENIORS! If you are graduating Winter or Spring 2022 and need to take CD 302, enrollment is by permission only. Please email email@example.com for a permission number and be sure to allow at least 24 hours for us to get back to you.
- SAVE THE DATES! The PSYCD Department is bringing candidates for two new faculty positions to campus. Candidates have expertise in the areas of Clinical/Counseling Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience. They will be giving talks through the rest of the quarter on most Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11:10-12. More detail will be provided as we schedule these talks.
- Internship News: The deadline for placement in fieldwork internships for Winter 2022 has passed. Please email Dr. Garcia with any questions or concerns. Dr. Garcia will be emailing students seeking fieldwork internships for Winter 2022the Placement Survey on Wednesday. Permission numbers will be distributed no later than finals week.
- Suspension of PSY Minor: Due to the highly impacted nature of psychology courses, no new PSY minor applications will be accepted in 2021-22 (TBD when we will reinstate the minor - please check the PSYCD website in Fall 2022 for further updates).
Tentative Course Offerings: We have updated the Tentative Course Offerings page to reflect the courses we are offering this academic year. You can also see information about course modalities for winter (in person, hybrid, virtual).
PSY 458 and CD 411 will not be offered in 2021-22 or 2022-23. If you are a PSY or CD major on the 2017-19 catalog who needs these classes to graduate, please discuss a substitution with Dr. Jipson.
PSY 344 will not be offered in 2021-22. Please take BIO 302 or wait for 22-23 to take this class.
PSY and CD 461 will waive the GWR prerequisite. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a permission number that overrides prerequisites.
Psi Chi Scholarships
November Meeting 11/4: PCDC updates and a fun (and edible) Thanksgiving craft AND a social at Avila Valley Barn on November 14th! Sign up here: https://forms.gle/LbvKdWZwkvFPb2U8A
ORDER YOUR PCDC SHIRT here: https://forms.gle/R6YiiS3THFE5SgTk6 (see Tuesday NEwsday archives for images)
The Psych Club is so excited to get meetings and events started this quarter! For any and all information regarding these upcoming dates and times, please head over to the Psych Club Instagram @cpslo.psyclub. We can’t wait to meet you all! ”For further questions, reach us at email@example.com.
- Help a Graphic Communication student in a Sales and Marketing class. "My group and I are doing a marketing project in the field of healthcare, and more specifically children's prescription medications and are in need of some relevant opinions in this field." Here is the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HCVKJ8P. Please note that the survey responses will only be used for the educational purposes of GrC 361 (Marketing and Sales Management for Print and Digital Media). The responses will be anonymous, and names will not be used in our reports.
CHECK OUT THIS NEW WEBSITE THAT COMPILES PAID INTERNSHIPS, CONFERENCES, GRAD SCHOOL INFORMATION SESSIONS. PSYCHRESEARCHLIST
THIS IS ALSO A GREAT SOURCE OF INFORMATION ABOUT GRADUATE SCHOOL, INTERNSHIPS, ETC. RESOURCES
Opportunities for Master's Degrees at Vanderbilt University
The Department of Psychology and Human Development in Peabody College at Vanderbilt University is a group of scholars who work to increase understanding of basic psychological functioning in family, school, and other social contexts. The department is home to 3 master’s programs (new M.S. in Cognitive Psychology in Context, M.Ed. in Child Studies and M.Ed. in Quantitative Methods) as well as a PhD program in Psychological Sciences.
Transitions Mental Health Paid Internship
Little Wings Preschool
Little Wings is looking for a Preschool Teacher assistant who can help to create a fun learning environment. The Preschool Teacher will be responsible for supporting the lead teacher in monitoring and teaching the 2-6 year old children in our program. Current position will support with the 2/3 year old children in the morning and 2-6 year old combination children in the afternoon. Our school has a 50/50 combination of children with special needs and typically developing children in their class. This individual must have a passion for working with all children with different needs. If you love working with kids and have previous experience in an early learning environment, please apply today. For information see this flyer.
Monarch Behavior Solutions
Monarch Behavior Solutions is currently looking to hire 1-2 behavior technicians ring part time to full time (10-30 hours per week) and can offer flexible work scheduling for students. Pay ranges between $15-25/hour. The position(s) offer tremendous hands-on experience for anyone interested in pursuing a career path supporting children/families with unique learning needs. We are now 100% center-based, which allows for really meaningful supervision and team building amongst coworkers. And while we are dedicated ABA provider, families tell us our programs feel different than other ABA providers they have worked with in the past. I believe this is because we really focus on understanding the whole child -- the family dynamics/culture/priorities, the child's learning history, and what is not just behaviorally indicated, but what is developmentally appropriate and supportive for the child. More information about our agency and programming can be found on our website: monarchbehaviorsolutions.com
Anyone interested in applying can email our Clinical Director, Whitney Higgins at firstname.lastname@example.org
SLO Parks & Rec Youth Services
Zoom links for faculty office hours can be found on the PSYCD Website. Remember that these times are reserved for you! Drop in with advising questions, career/graduate school questions, or just to introduce yourself and chat.
- Remember: Your faculty advisor can serve as your academic and career mentor and their signature is often needed for important paperwork. Be sure to reach out to talk with your faculty advisor on a regular basis. PSY First Year Students and new transfers received an email from the department with the name of your faculty advisor. CD students can find their advisor under Academic Advising on our department website. Students admitted into the PSYCD majors through ICMA will receive an email with advisor information.
- Returning students can contact the department office if you need to be reminded of your faculty advisor's name and contact information.
- Dr. Jipson is also available to advise students advise about minors, ICMAs, course schedules, and graduation requirements.* Her office hours are listed below. Please use the calendar links below to sign up for appointments.
*All internship-related questions should be directed to Dr. Julie Garcia.
Dr. Jipson's In-Person Advising
Use this link to schedule: https://calendly.com/jjipson/in-person-advising
- Mondays 12-2/Thursdays 9-11 a.m.: In person advising only. Students can schedule a 15 minute time slot using the In-Person calendar link above, or drop in. If dropping in, priority will be given to those with an appointment.
Dr. Jipson's Zoom Advising
Use this link to schedule: https://calendly.com/jjipson/zoom-advising
- Tuesdays 1-2 p.m/ Wednesdays 8:30-10:30 a.m.. Zoom advising only. Students can schedule a 15 minute time slot using the Zoom appointment calendar link.