Within the department, students may join a chapter of Psi Chi, the National Honor Society for psychology students.
Psi Chi membership provides many advantages including:
- Opportunities to gain interpersonal communication skills through interaction with other students and professors in the department in small group settings.
- Developing your professional skills as well as enhancing and building your resume for jobs or graduate school
- Ability to participate in various hands-on community service and leadership experiences
- Access to local, regional, and national forums for learning about educational and career opportunities, and networking
- Connections to faculty and financial support for student research
Criteria for Undergraduate Psi Chi Membership:
- Must be a Psychology or Child Development major or minor
- Must have completed the first quarter of your sophomore year at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
- Must have completed at least 12 units of Psychology or Child Development courses
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in major (Psychology or Child Development)
- Minimum 3.2 GPA overall
Steps to becoming a member:
- Complete the Cal Poly application for Psi Chi Membership form(PDF) and email a copy of your completed form to email@example.com.
- Once approved, complete the Psi Chi online application form at http://www.psichi.org
- Once approved, pay online at http://www.psichi.org.
Applications are accepted year round. For further questions, please email PsiChi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
While Psi Chi only admits candidates who at the time of application meet these membership requirements, students of all academic standings are encouraged to look into joining this honor society. Everyone is welcome to attend meetings to help them decide if they would like to apply for membership in the future.
Faculty Advisor: Laura Cacciamani