Tuesday Newsday: January 18, 2022
STAY CONNECTED. STAY INFORMED. STAY ENGAGED.
- Read Tuesday Newsday every week.
- Follow the PSYCD Department on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Get involved in the Poly Child Development Club, the Psychology Club and Psi Chi (the National Honors Society for Psychology).
- Get advising. Scroll to the bottom of Tuesday Newsday for information about advising appointments and faculty office hours.
- Department News
- Club Events
- Campus Opportunities
- Off-Campus Opportunities
- Job Opportunities
- Office Hours and Advising Opportunities
The department office will be closed mornings this week. We will be open 1-5 p.m. for in person support.
FIELDWORK INTERNSHIPS: LIMITED TO SENIORS
- Fieldwork internships will be limited to students graduating in or before Fall 2022 and to students on the PSYCD Research Track (PSY/CD 453, 454)
- There is a mandatory presentation that you must watch and survey to complete by Friday, Januar 28 (link forthcoming) to secure an internship placement for Spring 2022. We will host a Q&A on Friday 1/28/22 from 4-5 p.m. at this zoom link: https://calpoly.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYscO6tqzkrGdx-_BkEOIwXQ-cYyOLXD-PY
Welcome! You are invited to join a meeting: PSYCD Winter 2022 Internship Q & A. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email about joining the meeting.
- You must authenticate with your CP email to join the meeting. Be sure to review the video presentation PRIOR to attending the Q & A session.
- You MUST watch the mandatory presentation, and complete the survey discussed in the presentation, IF you will be in your first quarter of field internship in Spring 2022 OR if you will be switching to a new internship site from Winter 2022.
- You do NOT need to attend the internship placement meeting if you are staying at the same internship site from Winter 2022, OR if you are doing a research internship* with a faculty member.
Please read more about internships, including prerequisites and field work sites, here. However, please note that some fieldwork sites on our list may be unavailable due to public health restrictions. In addition, some placements may require that interns be vaccinated.
RESEARCH INTERNSHIPS: LIMITED TO SENIORS
Research internships will be limited to students graduating in or before Fall 2022 and to students on the PSYCD Research Track (PSY/CD 448, 449)
- To explore the possibility of a research internship, please review faculty research interests on our faculty page. Not all faculty are accepting research interns at this time. To find out whether you might join a faculty research lab, attend the office hours for professors whose research activities match your interests.
Happy Winter Quarter Psych Club! We are so excited to get the ball rolling and meet everyone :) This quarter, we will be having weekly meetings/ socials every Thursday from 11-12 pm in Baker (Bldg. 180) Room 101.
Hi Psych Club! We’re coming back at you this week with Game Day on Zoom! Come on through to play a variety of games and hang out with us on Thursday from 11-12 :) For those of y’all who are on campus, Baker Room 101 will be open for a social at the same time!
Zoom Code is: 850 9047 8573
Poly Child Development Club
Join Safer for Stalking Action Month
CHECK OUT THIS WEBSITE THAT COMPILES PAID INTERNSHIPS, CONFERENCES, GRAD SCHOOL INFORMATION SESSIONS: www.psychresearchlist.com
THIS IS ALSO A GREAT SOURCE OF INFORMATION ABOUT GRADUATE SCHOOL, INTERNSHIPS, ETC.: www.spsp.org/resources/student
Aging and the Experiences of Transgender and Gender Nonconforming (T/GNC) Adults - Saturday, January 29, 2022
The Monmouth University School of Social Work's LGBT+ Older Adult Project is hosting a virtual conference titled Aging and the Experiences of Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Adults. Saturday January 29, 2022 from 1:00 pm- 4:00 pm EST. The event is free but you must register in advance: secure.touchnet.net/C21067_ustores/web/...
Paid Summer Internship for Future Leaders
The deadline to apply for the Future Leaders in Public Service Internship Program is Monday, January 31 This is a PAID internship opportunity and selected students will:
-Receive a $4,000 stipend-Be placed at the Department of Commerce OR Department of Transportation for 10-12 weeks during Summer 2022 -Gain valuable work experience -Build a network to support them on their career path
Find more information at email@example.com
University of Chicago will host a webinar on Tuesday January 25th at 2 PM PST (must register by 1/21st) for students interested in applying to graduate school in psychology. In the webinar they will provide advice on getting research experience in psychology, applying for RA positions, and the graduate application process. Additional information can be found here Webinar Information and the Registration link is here.
UNC Chapel Hill Diversifying Psychology Weekend: April 7-9, 2022https://psychology.unc.edu/diversifying-psychology-weekend/The UNC Diversifying Psychology Weekend (DPW) is an opportunity for talented ethnic/racial minority undergraduates and college graduates invested in pursuing doctoral level training in psychology and neuroscience. This year's virtual program includes three days of seminars, panel discussions, and workshops. Students will have the opportunity to learn how to develop a competitive application, meet doctoral students and faculty from our department in formal and informal settings, and receive an introduction to our graduate training opportunities and each of our graduate research programs. This year’s DPW will invite students to explore the six graduate programs in the Psychology & Neuroscience department at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: Clinical, Cognitive, Social, Developmental, Quantitative Psychology, and Behavioral and Integrative Neuroscience (BIN). Application deadline: January 30, 2022. Letters of recommendation and transcripts will be accepted up to one week after the application deadline (until February 6, 2022). For more information and to access the application, please click here:
If you are eligible and interested, we encourage you to apply!
The Georgetown Laboratory for Relational Cognition, directed by Dr. Adam Green, is seeking a full-time lab manager with a preferred start date of early summer 2022. Please see the attached advertisement and forward to the society listserv. For more information on the lab, see our website. With any questions, please contact Grace Porter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please check Tuesday Newsday archives for past info on opportunities.
PAID LOCAL JOB OPPORTUNITIES
WINTER 2022 office hours will be posted soon on the PSYCD Website. Remember that these times are reserved for you! Drop in with advising questions, career/graduate school questions, or just to introduce yourself and chat.
- Remember: Your faculty advisor can serve as your academic and career mentor and their signature is often needed for important paperwork. Be sure to reach out to talk with your faculty advisor on a regular basis. PSY First Year Students and new transfers received an email from the department with the name of your faculty advisor. CD students can find their advisor under Academic Advising on our department website. Students admitted into the PSYCD majors through ICMA will receive an email with advisor information.
- Returning students can contact the department office if you need to be reminded of your faculty advisor's name and contact information.
- Dr. Jipson is also available to advise students advise about minors, ICMAs, course schedules, and graduation requirements.* Her office hours are listed below. Please use the calendar links below to sign up for appointments.
*All internship-related questions should be directed to Dr. Julie Garcia.
Dr. Jipson's In-Person Advising
Use this link to schedule: https://calendly.com/jjipson/in-person-advising
- Mondays 11-1/Thursdays 9-11 a.m.: In person advising only. Students can schedule a 15 minute time slot using the In-Person calendar link above, or drop in. If dropping in, priority will be given to those with an appointment.
Dr. Jipson's Zoom Advising
Use this link to schedule: https://calendly.com/jjipson/zoom-advising
- Tuesdays 1-2 p.m/ Wednesdays 8:30-10:30 a.m.. Zoom advising only. Students can schedule a 15 minute time slot using the Zoom appointment calendar link.