Psychology and Child Development

College of Liberal Arts

Research Opportunities

Our faculty are actively involved in scholarship that contributes to the knowledge base in psychology and developmental science. Much of this research is applied in nature and informs practice in a variety of disciplines.  Research projects are often interdisciplinary, involving collaborations with scholars across Cal Poly and other universities. The research activities in our department offer students a unique opportunity to develop the practical, methodological, and theoretical skills necessary to study human behavior. Many students go on to do their own independent research both as undergraduates here at Cal Poly and in future graduate studies. 

Learn about Faculty Research Interests here.

Become a Research Intern 

Qualified students may gain research experience working with faculty researchers who provide research internships. Research internships can count as one of the required fieldwork experiences (PSY 448 or PSY 449, CD 333 or CD 433). Alternatively, students may get course credit by signing up for an independent study (PSY 200/400, CD 200/ 400). 

Conduct Your Own Research

Students have several opportunities to conduct original research as part of their academic training in Psychology and Child Development. For example, all majors must complete a senior project. One option is to conduct a research study including data collection and analysis. This type of senior project is recommended for those students planning to pursue doctorate degrees, such as a PhD. 

Please note that students collecting data with human participants must first receive approval from Cal Poly's Human Subjects Committee. Students who plan to use PSY 202 students as research participants will want to consult their senior project advisor or instructor for guidance in this process.

Related Content