Tuesday Newsday: June 7, 2022
It's finals week. And soon it will finally be summer! We've just about made it through an incredibly challenging year and now it's the last push. Stay focused (but also have some fun with friends)! You can find the balance...you've got this!
- Shout Outs
- Department News
- Department Opportunities
- LAST CHANCE: Graduation stoles still available until Friday at 4:30 p.m! $20! Don't sleep on this!
- Campus Opportunities
- Off-Campus Opportunities
- Job Opportunities
- Office Hours and Advising Opportunities
Thank you to our Senior Project Spotlight participants and attendees!
Congrats to Elise Mahaffey (Cd'19)! Elise will be attending Arizona State University in the fall to pursue her PhD in Developmental Psychology. she will study how social learning contexts and adult-child interactions impact children's persistence and challenge-seeking behavior.
*If you know of any PSYCD grads who would like to be recognized in our Alumni Spotlight - please email email@example.com.
Seats are still available in the following PSYCD (and friends of PSYCD) Summer Courses:
- Take now! Will not be offered next year
- PSY 352 Conflict Resolution
- Take now! Limited availability next year
- CD/PSY 356 Behavior Disorders in Childhood
- PSY 372 Multicultural Psychology
- Soon-to-be Juniors and Seniors: Consider taking EDUC 427 this summer in the first 5-week summer session with Dr. Katie Paulding! Examine best practices for instruction of Emergent Bilinguals/English Learners (ELs) and compare Bilingual, transitional, and English-only programs across a historical framework. This is a prerequisite for the Multiple Subjects Credential.
Pandemic.Reality is a faculty-student project focusing on protecting and educating members of our community. Please follow us for information on COVID-19 and updates on the Cal Poly campus.
Fall Registration Is Happening Now!
Plan your year: PSYCD Tentative Course Offerings
Attention ICMA Students
Are you on contract to change your major to PSY or CD? If you anticipate meeting the criteria, you will need to enroll in CD 102 or PSY 102 in Fall. Please contact Beatriz Peralta (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a permission number to enroll.
Interested in the Research Track?
This video provides information for interested students. See information below to decide whether the Research Track is right for you.
SENIORS: Buy your Graduations Stoles ASAP! Stop by the PSYCD Office before Friday at 4:30!
CHECK OUT THIS WEBSITE THAT COMPILES PAID INTERNSHIPS, CONFERENCES, GRAD SCHOOL INFORMATION SESSIONS: www.psychresearchlist.com
THIS IS ALSO A GREAT SOURCE OF INFORMATION ABOUT GRADUATE SCHOOL, INTERNSHIPS, ETC.: www.spsp.org/resources/students
Please check Tuesday Newsday archives for past info on opportunities.
PAID JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Do you want to make a direct impact this upcoming school year? Consider applying to Teach For America’s Ignite Fellowship to work directly with elementary or middle school students this fall.
TFA's Ignite Fellowship looks for current college students to lead virtual, small group tutoring sessions with students during the school day while partnering with veteran educators. This is a part-time, paid, virtual opportunity to build meaningful relationships with youth, accelerate student success, and hone your leadership skills. TFA’s Ignite Fellowship is accepting applications until June 6th. Start your application here.
We have two upcoming info sessions during which we will share details about the fellowship, provide tips on submitting a strong application, and answer questions you may have. Interested instead in paid, full-time post-grad opportunities? Check out our 2023 TFA corps application here.
We are hiring over 2,600 summer staff members to lead our students this summer in the Bay Area, Southern California, Seattle, Chicago, and Washington DC. Here’s a quick summary of Galileo’s open summer staff positions:
- Camp Counselors: Our Camp Counselors will take their small groups of campers from rotation to rotation, and spearhead camper management and community building. Recommended for undergraduates looking to gain leadership and/or education experience.
- Instructors: Focus on teaching one elementary-level subject (art, science, or outdoor play) to a specific age group for the entire summer. Recommended for students with leadership and childcare experience.
All you need is 15 minutes and an updated resume to take the next step in having one of the most transformative summers of your life! Need help with your resume? We’ve created this template for you to use when updating your resume.
River Way Ranch Camp: Several Summer Openings
River Way Ranch Camp is a residential summer camp for children ages 7-16, located in the foothills of Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park and just 35 minutes East of Fresno, CA. We are currently looking for Resident Camp Counselors and Mentors, as well as specific Activity Directors. We include over 55 hours of free, intensive training such as Lifeguard, CPR, First Aid, Ropes Course Facilitation, Child Behavior and much more. Additionally, all sports training is included along with FREE housing and meals for the length of the summer. This is a paid position, and is fantastic for students that currently live on campus since they'll need a place to reside after school ends.
For more information, contact
Summer PRESCHOOL TEACHER (SLO UMCC)
The San Luis Obispo United Methodist Children's Center (UMCC) is a NAEYC Accredited Preschool and has proudly been open for over 30 years. We are conveniently located off the freeway near Cal Poly. We are in need Summer Preschool Teachers starting June 13, 2022. There are multiple positions available- some are M-F, and some are MWF or TTH. You must have Early Childhood Education units (a minimum of 6 ece units and enrolled in college, or 12 ece units) and a love for young children is a must! Your daily job duties would be planning an age-appropriate curriculum, setting up the classroom and team teaching with another teacher. Our Summer Session is 8 weeks, June 13-August 5. When emailing us, please include your unofficial transcripts and your resume. Please contact Liz or Mona at 805.549.0332.
Center for Service in Action: AmeriCorps-VIP Fellowship positions
The Center for Service in Action has started recruitment for the 2022-23 AmeriCorps-VIP Fellowship positions in San Luis Obispo and we would love your help recruiting students who may be graduating in the Spring. AmeriCorps is a great opportunity for students who are graduating and may have a gap year between school and their future careers or grad school. This program partners individuals with SLO community nonprofits and other agencies to address volunteer infrastructure needs through a national year of service and a simultaneous professional development program.
Office Hours are posted on the PSYCD Website. These times are reserved for you! Drop in with advising questions, career/graduate school questions, or just to introduce yourself and chat.
- Remember: Your faculty advisor can serve as your academic and career mentor and their signature is often needed for important paperwork. Be sure to reach out to talk with your faculty advisor on a regular basis. PSY First Year Students and new transfers received an email from the department with the name of your faculty advisor. CD students can find their advisor under Academic Advising on our department website. Students admitted into the PSYCD majors through ICMA will receive an email with advisor information.
- Returning students can contact the department office if you need to be reminded of your faculty advisor's name and contact information.
- Dr. Jipson is also available to advise students advise about minors, ICMAs, course schedules, and graduation requirements.* Her office hours are listed below. Please use the calendar links below to sign up for appointments.
*All internship-related questions should be directed to Dr. Julie Garcia.
Dr. Jipson's In-Person Advising
Use this link to schedule: https://calendly.com/jjipson/in-person-advising
- Mondays 11-1/Thursdays 9-11 a.m.: In person advising only. Students can schedule a 15 minute time slot using the In-Person calendar link above, or drop in. If dropping in, priority will be given to those with an appointment.
Dr. Jipson's Zoom Advising
Use this link to schedule: https://calendly.com/jjipson/zoom-advising
- Tuesdays 1-2 p.m/ Wednesdays 8:30-10:30 a.m.. Zoom advising only. Students can schedule a 15 minute time slot using the Zoom appointment calendar link.