Weekly Announcements - June 8
Latest Campus Updates
Best place to learn about the latest Campus updates on the Coronavirus is at https://coronavirus.calpoly.edu. If you need any help with technology send an email to email@example.com.
Some other Helpful Sites:
Want to know more about Senior Project?
We have updated information about Senior Projects on the department website including an Online Learning Update.
NOTE: If you you are a CD senior next year but have not yet satisfied the GWR we will waive the prereq for CD 461. When registration open, please email Robyn Hastin (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you will be a senior, have not taken the GWR and would like to enroll in CD461.
Campus Events You Don't Want to Miss!
Summer Research Opportunity
PSY Senior Projects
NEW! One of our senior project teams this quarter put together a useful infographic on Stress & Anxiety among College Students and what can help.
Fundraising for the SLO Food Bank. PSY students, Kaylee Roe and Ethan Heh have created a fundraising page for the SLO Food Bank to help them during these unprecedented times. Their goal is to raise $5,000 to support the local community and ensure everyone has access to healthy, nutritious food. To donate go to:
PSYCD Findings from the Student Survey on our Virtual Courses!
Department Club Events/Updates
Career Services Events You Don't Want to Miss!
Check out the zoom events at Career Services this week. Click on the Career Services website.
Join the PSYCD LinkedIn Group!
Stay Professionally Connected!
Here is a LinkedIn group where PSY & CD alumni and students can network and make connections
Planning your schedule for next year?
Do you want to change a course to CR/NC?
Go to: https://registrar.calpoly.edu/student-center. Click on Edit of Change to C/NC.
Remember that C/NC rules have changed for this Spring Quarter only. See the next announcement below for details.
Credit/No Credit grading SPRING QUARTER ONLY
The College of Liberal Arts has made the decision to remove the limit on CR/NC units for major courses in all majors and graduate programs in the college for Spring 2020. Here's what this means:
- PSY & CD students can take any or all of their PSY & CD courses this quarter CR/NC. Undergraduate students need to earn a C- or better to earn CR; graduate students need a B- or better.
- This applies to PSY & CD minor courses too as well as minors in other departments in the College of Liberal Arts.
- If you are doing a minor in a different college, you will need to check with them about their rules for this Spring.
- If you are on a change of major contract check with the department you are trying to change into about whether you can take a course C/NC. Students on contract to change into PSY or CD must meet our requirements by taking a total of 3 GRADED courses. In other words, it is in your best interest to take your PSY & CD courses for a grade this quarter.
Other Important Notes about C/NC:
- Students have until the last day of classes (Friday, June 5) to change their grading basis to CR/NC from letter grade or vice versa.
- None of the CR/NC units students take during Spring 2020 will count toward the 16 unit limit.
- There will be no limit in the number of units you can take CR/NC during Spring 2020.
- The condition that a student need to have a 2.00 GPA in order to take CR/NC will not apply in Spring 2020.
- Students will be able to take more than 4 units of GE courses in CR/NC in Spring 2020.
- If you will change any class to CR/NC, you are highly encouraged to check with your advisor.
- If you're taking a class for grade forgiveness, you should not enroll in it using CR/NC.
NEW! The Center for Service in Action is currently “recruiting for our 2020-2021 Student Leadership Team.” Applications are now open and students can apply to join the CSA Student Leadership Team. Applications are due Friday June 19th. Interviews will be conducted virtually. Click here to access our application.
Learn How to Volunteer during COVID-19! This is a list of ways to be involved put together by a student group in Dr. Langner's PSY360 class this quarter.
Learn about opportunities at Big Brothers Big Sisters or Boys and Girls Club - Which Is Right for You? https://www.publicservicedegrees.org/volunteering/big-brothers-big-sisters-vs-boys-and-girls-club/
Camp Natoma is remaining hopeful about summer programs and is looking to fill some remaining staff positions. https://www.campnatoma.org/employment-opportunities. All positions involve direct work with youth ages 7-17.
Summer Internship and/or Lab Manager positions
We will continue to post opportunities that come our way. We encourage you to reach out directly to the hiring institution to learn more about how they plan to proceed during these uncertain times.
Stanford SPARQ is looking to hire a Lab Manager to join their team this summer. Please email the current lab manager Rachel Song (email@example.com) for details.
Updated Regularly! The Cognitive Development Society website lists many job opportunities!
Looking for Study Abroad Information?
Cal Poly International programs scheduled this summer have been canceled.
Visit Cal Poly's Study Abroad website to stay updated on whether programs will be available next year.
Will there be graduation activities?
Spring commencement has been canceled. For more information on Cal Poly's commencement plans visit the Commencement website.
Need someone to talk to?
The SLO Counseling Service at Cal Poly offers short-term counseling and consultation. For 2020 Spring and Summer quarters, sessions will be conducted by phone or computer. Please call 805.756.1532 for an appointment.
Previous Weekly Announcements